Promotion of sustainable livelihood through natural resource conservation and modern Agri-horticulture interventions in the hills of Nainital district in Uttarakhand.
Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiatives’ quest to make tangible difference in the lives of people who are deeply disadvantaged, impoverished, underserved and marginalised & Sanjeevani’s pursuit to attain the status of sustainable socio-economic empowerment for small and marginal households; paved way for an innovative programme for Promotion of sustainable livelihood through natural resource conservation and modern Agri-horticulture interventions in 15 villages of Betalghat block in Nainital district in Uttarakhand.
The objective of the project is Socio-economic development of small and marginal households through promotion of sustainable livelihood through natural resource conservation and modern Agri-horticulture interventions for 1500 small and marginal households in Betalghat block of Nainital district in Uttarakhand.
The project will address the excruciating issues of the farmers from the hills of Nainital, that is low productivity and production, poor soil health, soaring cost of farming, lack of information and technology about modern/scientific agriculture, non-availability of proper irrigation facilities etc. The above-mentioned issues will be addressed through community-based groups by awareness, sensitization, capacity building, & government linkages.
The programme intervention theme includes:
- Capacity building of farmers on modern and scientific farming techniques.
- Emphasis on improving package of practices through modern and scientific input interventions and applications.
- Enhancement of income of small and marginal households
- Promotion of natural farming
- Conservation of water to facilitate irrigation in unirrigated and semi-irrigated agriculture land.
- Awareness and promotion of women empowerment, health, sanitation, education, government linkages, financial linkages, social fencing through community-based groups.
- Emphasis on improving farm gate price for agri produce.
The project activities intend to develop master trainers and demonstration centers to create ripple effect in the community to maximize the outreach.
By the completion of the project tenure the small and marginal farmers will experience enhanced productivity by 40%, which will enhance their income considerably. More than 70% of the target farmers will be linked to government departments for sustainability.